I won’t lie, being a college student is no walk in the park. There is one too many papers due any given week, you have a test in every class, and the amount of reading to be done is overwhelming. But I’m not here to give you all the negatives. Instead, I’m here to encourage you to continue being the best you that YOU can be!
Be the best Christian you can be and rely on Christ when times get tough. Philippians 1:6 states, “being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (NIV). God didn’t bring you this far to leave you. Think about that for just a moment. God carries you through any given storm only to uplift you and continue to carry you. He doesn’t feel weak nor does His patience run thin. It isn’t bothersome that you rely on Christ during conflict. In fact, He wants you to come to Him!
Don’t be afraid to run to Him when you have too many lessons plans to write next week.
Don’t be afraid to run to Him when you have a quiz or test in every gen-ed class on Friday.
Don’t be afraid to run to Him when you are overwhelmed with working one, maybe two, jobs and being a full-time student.
Finally, don’t be afraid to run to Him when you are tired and need reassurance that all the trials you face are going to be worth it.
When you feel that you are in a situation that feels like more than you can handle, rely on God and remember that He loves you. James 1:2-3 reads, “Consider it pure joy my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance” (NIV) All the trials you face are all apart of Gods purpose and plan. Rest in the reassurance that God is on your side!
Yeah, I know, easier said than done. I’ve been in your exact same position. In fact, I’m in that position right now! Taking 19 credit hours, coaching soccer, and working five days a week is not always sunshine and daisies. There have been many days when all I wanted was to sleep and sleep for days on end. I was (and still am) having a really hard time confiding in people and talking about what’s going on. That includes talking and having a relationship with God. I felt my worries and struggles were pointless compared to the other thousands of things going on throughout the world. Issues such as world hunger or third-world countries were more important than what I was facing.
Just know, no problem is too big or small for God. No problem, care, or struggle is more important than another in the eyes of God. He wants to hear about your day-whether you need prayer or you want to talk about the positive things happening in your life! Ultimately, He just wants to have a relationship with you. Let Him be a part of your life. Below I have included some bible verses and quotes for us college students who need a little reassurance and a pick me up when times get tough!
- Feeling stressed?- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10 NIV)
- Feeling tired?- “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls (Matthew 11:28-29 NIV).
- Feeling uncertain or doubtful? God can restore what is broken and change it into something amazing. Have faith. “I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten— the great locust and the young locust, the other locusts and the locust swarm—my great army that I sent among you. You will have plenty to eat, until you are full, and you will praise the name of the Lord your God, who has worked wonders for you;never again will my people be shamed. (Joel 2:25-26, see in context of Joel chapter 2).
- Feeling shameful?- “Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:39 NIV).
- Feeling unloved, unimportant or insecure?- remember who you belong to!- “Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.(Ephesians 2:19-22 NIV).
- Feeling weary?- The Lord is greater than the giants you face!- You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 John 4:4 NIV).
- Above all… Pray more and worry less!- Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:34 NIV).